Do you know the advantages and disadvantages of vacuum evaporation and sputter coating?
Do you know the two coating methods we use: What are the advantages and disadvantages of evaporation coating and magnetron sputtering coating?The principle of the two coating methods is different, which fundamentally determines their advantages and disadvantages. Evaporation coating is a phenomenon that utilizes evaporation, and sputter coating uses an electron beam to bombard a sputtering target. Let us now see what advantages and disadvantages they have.
1. Sputtering is an order of magnitude lower than evaporation and working vacuum, so the gas content of the film is higher than that of evaporation.
2. Evaporation is not suitable for high melting point materials, such as molybdenum, tungsten, ~~, etc. Because the melting point is high, evaporation is too slow, and the sputtering speed is much faster than evaporation.
3. Sputtering is not suitable for low hardness materials such as non-metallic materials.
4. Sputtering is not suitable for non-conductive materials.
5. Evaporation can not control the thickness, and sputtering can control the thickness with time.
6. Evaporation is not suitable for large-scale production.
7. The electron kinetic energy of vapor deposition is much smaller than that of sputtering. Although the gas content is small, the film layer is easy to fall off.
8. The sputtered film is uniform, and the vaporized film has a thick center point and is thin around.
Therefore, when we apply coating, we need to consider the coating method suitable for ourselves. I personally prefer sputter coating because it gives a better quality film. What do you think?